Saturday, January 12, 2013

Capturing a Moment in Time

Doesn't everybody observe?  I always thought I was pretty observant.  Today we were driving home from Miles City.  Yesterday we caught the tail end of a snowstorm and got around 6 inches of snow.  When we traveled yesterday the temperature in the pickup ranged between 6 and 12 degrees not counting windchill.

Today the sun was bright if not overly warm but at least the wind was not out and about.  I watched many hawks and eagles and even crows out scouting for dinner.   I have always thought of Crows (the bird species) as carrion eaters.  I never thought of them as hunters.

From my window I watched a crow sitting on a fence post.  As we got closer I noticed that he had a mouse in his talons.  Ah the camera was not ready as we sped by.

Thursday afternoon as I got into my car and drove to the corner.  I looked up and saw a bald eagle flying about 10 or 15 feet above the ground.  I watched in awe.  I wanted to ask him what he was doing in town.

In the two years since I started taking  pictures; I find myself looking for more opportunities.  I find I have become a better observer.

Tonight the dogs are upstairs with us.  Sammi laid her head on my knee and her big whiskey colored eyes seemed to say, "I missed you mom."  Baby lay at Dan's feet.  The other two lay near by.  To know the love of a companion animal is to know unconditional love at its finest.



The magic of observing for me is capturing that small moment in my mind and heart.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, interesting story, of the crow & of your observations. Keep Warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you have a camera it does make you more ready to look for those observable moments...and displeased when you can't record them! But then you get dog pictures...and what's more appealing than that? I think I'll post a recent picture of mine for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.