My Mom's friend Georgine gave this recipe to my Mom about 1967. I can remember Mom making it. Seeing it drain. Hearing the jars pop.
- 14 lbs ripe tomatoes - Skald and skim
- 6 green peppers chopped no seeds
- 6 red peppers chopped no seeds
- 3 hot peppers chopped no seeds
- (Put all in food grinder)
- 8 large onions chopped fine
- 3/4 very scant cup of salt
Step 2: Hang in bag over night.
Step 3: In morning taste drippings if too salty add water in bag to drip.
Step 4: Heat together
- 5 cups sugar
- 5 cups vinegar (prefer cider vinegar)
- then add
- 3 oz mustard seed
Mix well, then add to first mixture above. Stir for awhile. Seal hot.
*We got it to salty once and we added a cup of cold water and let it drain and it was alright. Try tasting the juice.