Thursday, March 2, 2017

I Was Once Young

I and 39 other 4-Hers (all teenagers) boarded a chartered Greyhound bus in Lewiston, Idaho.  We were going to attend the 4-H Club Congress in Washington DC. It was the summer of 1973 and I was fifteen years old.  Three adults were on the trip; the bus driver, and two chaperones sadly I don't remember their names.

We were gone a month. One week to get there.  One week attending 4-H Club Congress. One week to get home.

Today I would not take 40 teenagers across town with just two chaperones, let alone a three week trip staying in motels.  We ranged in ages of 15-19.  We stopped at most of the historic spots.

We went through Butte, saw them mining the Berkeley Pit.  Stopped at "Custer's Battlefield".   Stopped at Mount Rushmore.  Went to the Science Museum in Chicago.  Drove on the edge of a tornado for several hours.

We rotated chores each night cleaning the bus and preparing for the next days trip.  I could not reach the windshield.  So when it was my turn I washed and dried the headlights.

I remember going to Williamsburg and eating Peanut Soup and Cornish Hens.  Seeing Monticello and Gettysburg.

Our week in DC was about learning and experiences.  Our chaperones and leaders had organized our trip before we left.  We attended a live performance of "Jesus Christ Super Star" at the Ford Theater.  Saw the National Zoo.  Saw white Bengal tigers, Smokey the Bear, the pandas from China Ling-Ling and Hsing-Hsing.  We went to the Smithsonian saw the 1st Ladies gowns, and the Hope Diamond.

These are some of the memories that still dance in my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.