Saturday, March 1, 2014

Playapalooza Learning to Play Vintage Games

Every year the Western Heritage Centers hosts "Playapalooza" as family entertainment and a fund raiser for their educational programs.  Every year I think that this year I will finally get there, and every year I miss it.

What is a Playapalooza?  An event where you and your children or grandchildren can go and learn and play vintage games.  Games like checkers, tiddlywinks,  jacks, hopscotch,  marbles,  pickup sticks.  

As a kid I played checkers, hopscotch, jacks, and a little marbles.  I never learned to play tiddlywinks - imagine my surprise when I learned there are still tournaments and associations.

I know that Western Heritage have many of these games in their gift shop year round.  As I sit her writing I'm thinking about complex text - yah right.  What I was actually thinking was how directions are often very complex and confusing.  I wonder what my kids would think about having a mini Playapalooza -  reading the directions to figure out how to play the game.  Then letting them try.  I wonder if YouTube has anything on these games?







2 comments:

  1. I haven't thought of tiddlywinks in ages. I did enjoy playing this when I was a kid. I also enjoyed board games such as Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, and Uncle Wiggily. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playapalooza sounds like a great time. What a perfect way to keep games of the past, that don't get much attention, alive.
    Directions of all types seem to be complex text.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.