Saturday, April 23, 2011

N is for Northern Cheyenne Tribal College

Flag of the Northern Cheyenne NationImage via Wikipedia

There are seven reservations in Montana.  Each reservation has a tribal college.   I taught one evening class at Chief Dull Knife College the year I also taught Special Education classes at the Northern Cheyenne School in Busby, Montana.

I was invited to attend many cultural events and learn about a culture different than mine.  I watched people navigate two very different worlds simultaneously. 

I remember sitting at the cafeteria table by students and staff.  I was trying to learn how to say, “Please pass the bread.”  My young teacher (a 3rd grader) was coaching me.  As I made the attempt there were a few muffled chuckles.

I realized I had not spoken the correct words.  My young teacher smiled and told me what I said.  She showed wisdom and great kindness when I asked her if she thought I would ever learn Cheyenne.

“No, but it is good that you try.”


Joseph Fire Crow, a Northern Cheyenne flute player.  Is considered one of the greatest flute players in the world.  This spring he visited several schools and lead a workshop at the Western Heritage Center in Billings, Montana.  His music speaks calls to my spirit.

I have many great memories of the time I spent in Busby.  I will always remember the Northern Cheyenne people with great fondness.


Montana Tribal Colleges

Chief Dull Knife College, is in Lame Deer, http://www.cdkc.edu/

Salish Kootenai College is in Pablo, MT on the Flathead Reservation

Little Big Horn College is in Crow Agency on the Crow Reservation http://www.lbhc.edu/

Fort Peck is in Poplar, MT on the Fort Peck Reservation http://www.fpcc.edu/

Fort Belknap College is in Harlem Montana on the Fort Belknap Reservation http://www.fbcc.edu

Blackfeet Community College is in Browning, MT on the Blackfeet Reservation http://www.bfcc.org/

Stone Child College is located on Upper Box Elder Road between Rocky Boy Agency and Box Elder, Montana.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. What a special experience and privilege you had to be able to learn about a native culture. I'm glad you told that little story too. It seems to show how much you were honored as a guest. Thanks for the information, too. I'm learning a lot about Montana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a blast writing about Montana in this way. Today Dan and I took a road trip to a town I will feature later in the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.