Friday, April 29, 2011

R is for Red Lodge


Red Lodge is the gateway to Yellowstone National Park via the Beartooth Highway.  The Beartooth Highway opened in 1936.   In 1884 Red Lodge was a stage stop.  Coal discoveries nearby turned it into a boomtown by the 1890’s.  Miners came from all over Europe.

The mines went into a decline in the 1920’s.  In 1943 an explosion killed 74 miners at the Smith Mine.  The mine closed shortly after the disaster, marking the end to Red Lodge mining days.

Today it is a popular tourist destination.  In winter people come to ski.  In summer people stop to admire the beauty of this mountain town.  Many continue on to visit Yellowstone National Park.

The Festival of Nations has been held in Red Lodge every August for the last 50 years.  Each day is dedicated to different cultures. There is food tasting, music, and dancing from the featured countries.  Historic artifacts, clothing and mementos are also on display.  It is a great family event.

I lived with friends in Red Lodge one year and commuted to Billings where I worked.  One morning I watched a fox hunting in the fields.  Another time I came home to find a moose and her calf eating vegetation out of the irrigation ditch.  I often looked out the window and would see moose in the ditch. 

Ever watched a porker run.  They move mighty fast.  The Beer Creek Saloon hosts the annual “Bear Creek Down’s Pig Races”. 

There is always something happening in Red Lodge.







6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good place to go, & to live, at least for a while. You have had a lot of experiences in your state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know all this stuff? You should make a state brochure and publish it for tourists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lots of living. I'm always curious. I also verified my memories with current info. I also try to link (blue text) my resources. History is one of my other loves.

    As I've been writing I have thought of many other places and things I didn't write about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I was quick on the draw there. Thaank you for your very sweet comment.
    What a beautiful picture you write. I will have to put this on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.