Monday, March 21, 2011

I'm Reading It In My Head

One of my kindergartner's chose a chapter book (reading level 3.9) to check out.  I asked him to read a page aloud to me and we would do the 5 finger test together.  I reminded him to put up one finger each time he came to a word that was hard or he didn't know.  If at the end of reading the page he had 5 fingers up is to challenging, 0-1 probably to easy 2-4 a just right challenge.

The kindergartner just looked at the page.  He didn't say anything.  I prompted again.  I asked, "Why aren't you reading it to me?"

He looked at me with confidence and said, "I'm reading it in my head."

What do you say to a comment like that?

10 comments:

  1. "Well, hon, I hope you really enjoy that book!"

    Too cute Ruth. There is an answer hard to argue with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I wonder what reading looks like inside his head? He definitely has the reading behavior down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little kids make me laugh. I never know what they are going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like reading in my head, too. I hope he enjoyed it! This was such a cute post. Gave me a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of my 6 year old grandson as I read this. I would also let him read this book and maybe later ask him what he does when he reads in his head. He is a reader, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This morning when he was in he selected a colorful nonfiction book and sat down on a stool. Another kindergartner asked him what he was doing. First boy responded, "I'm doing a picture walk, before I read!"

    I thought kudos to their teachers, these kids are readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of that short lived show, "kid's say the darndest things." It's amazing what they think of. Maybe the book will make a great read aloud with his parents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely that he already has such confidence. You must have been tickled to give him a pat & send him on his way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for making me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, if only we could read our students minds teaching would be so much easier! What a sweet moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.