Friday, March 25, 2011

Telling The Flip Side of a Tale

One of the books I bought at our Book Fair was "A Troll's Eye View:  A Book of Villainous Tales" by Ellen Datlow. It is a collection of short stories. They are from the "villains" point of view.  The one I read to my fifth graders was "Up the Down Beanstalk:  A Wife Remembers" by Peter S. Beagle.  I used it as my mentor text for this lesson.

After reading the story I asked if they thought Jack was innocent or guilty of theft and murder.  We had a thoughtful discussion.  I was surprised how many thought he was guilty.

I followed the discussion with this writing exercise.  They had a choice - (1) They could write about a court case involving a fairy tale character (2) they could write about a fairy tale from another character's point of view (3) they could write a sequel to the fairy tale.  I gave them 15 minutes to write.  Almost all of them wrote furiously.

When the time was up I had them get into groups of 3 or 4 to share their stories.  Each teammate was to tell the writer something they liked about their writing.  They also were to make one suggestion they had for the story.  Once everyone had shared, they went back to their seat and began revising.  I also gave them the option of writing about a different fairy tale.

My students really were excited about today's class.

  


Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lesson I would have loved as a kid. I have found mentor texts to be very powerful with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for the book today. Even my high school kids are inspired by mentor texts. This might get them to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the text would appeal to high school kids. There were several stories in that collection I think older kids would find intriguing. I love working with mentor texts. When I started the lesson I reminded them about the traditional "Three little pigs" story to the fractured fairy tale "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs".

    I know amazon has the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds like a great mentor text. I can see using it as a tool for persuasive writing. Definitely a grabber for kids. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, in her March 17th post, discussed What Really Happened to Humpty, a picture book that is similar to your topic, for younger writers, but could be for older students, too. What a great lesson you taught. Sounds like the students were so excited. Mentor texts do a lot of our work for us, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to engage thoughtful readers and writers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had forgotten about the Humpty Dumpty book. I need to add that to my purchase list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you certainly have us hooked, so I can only imagine how interested your students (who actually heard the story) were!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an engaging lesson...I shall have to look for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so delighted to read this! Thank you for the post.

    Please note that both Terri Windling and I co-edited the anthology.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.