Thursday, March 24, 2011

Waiting for the Book Fair

We are having a Book Fair today and tomorrow in the library.  The books are from the Great Northern Book Company out of Balantine, MT.  Barb and Ron Scherry were both educators in the area prior to their retirement.  Then they bought the Great Northern Book company and do book fairs around the state.

This husband/wife team do a fabulous job of book talking some of the new books.  I love watching the kids as they sit transfixed, hanging on each word.  Then they get to browse and make a wish list to take home to their parents.  Tonight the Book Fair was open until 7:30 pm.

The note on the wish list lets parents know there is no obligation and it also lists the Book Fair hours.  I had a kindergartner and his parent come in at 7:15.  He was so excited he was reciting the titles of the books he had put on his wish list.

His young mother collected the books and said he came home very excited about the book fair and told her the Book Fair STARTED at 7:30.  She recounted that they were waiting impatiently for the designated time.  Her son kept asking if it was 7:30 yet all evening.  Finally she said, she read the paper he had brought home again only to realize that the Book Fair ended at 7:30.  So they hurried to get there before closing time.

She also shared that she and her husband read with her son, but it was difficult because they both have ADD and reading is a struggle.  I was impressed with this young couple.  Their son will have a better chance because they are working with him.  I also realize that just everyday written communication is a hurdle for them.  When I listened to her I realized that we need to find other methods to communicate with parents.  I can see for some of our parents a video or audio message on our website would have been helpful.

The young man and his mother walked out of the fair beaming proudly carrying their purchases.  What I saw as they walked by was a young man who will be a lifetime reader because of his parents love. 

12 comments:

  1. I loved book fairs as a kid, and still do, as an adult. At our school, I can't resist getting new books for my own kids.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of putting an audio message on the web site for those parents who may struggle with reading. We have those parents at our school too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Wanda. And audio message is an excellent idea. How wonderful that the couple running the book fair gives book talks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the new books. Some of the kids will ask me what I do with the books that weren't sold. Would I give them one of the books. I always explain the books belong to the company and what we don't sell has to be returned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea to put a video message with announcements on a website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky that boy is, to have parents who will put aside their own struggles for him! I, too, love the book fair - and my middle school students beg for a chance to go in as soon as it's set up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of a video message. What a great way to incorporate technology into the classroom as well. Like most teachers and children, I can never have enough books. The book fair is an exciting time for my boys, as well as me. I eagerly await our book fair. Have a wonderful time with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool that you would share this. I have ADHD and my mother must have had it. I didn't realize that was what I had until my daughter was diagnosed with it. I was always a slow reader. I sympathy with anyone who has a reading problem. It is true we must ommunicate in many ways with our parents. Now that we have so many technological ways to do it, we sure can meet that need. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it! Happy Slicing!:) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We too are in the midst of a book fair, during conferences, so it's a good time to engage everyone in the browsing. I've had a great time helping some students and parents find good books, & they in turn led me to some I didn't know about. Your work with this student & conversation with his parents showed me that they must be very safe with you to talk about their challenges in reading so openly. What a nice thing you offer to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our students love going to the book fairs. I love the idea of providing booktalks -- I think that would really help students decide that to choose. I also like the idea of using other formats to communicate with parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do 2 Book Fairs a year. In the fall we do a Scholastic Book Fair. This one has the book marks and bendy pencils and lots of other kid desirable trinkets. I try and book talk some of the books in it.

    Then in the spring The Scherry's do the book fair. They read the vast majority of the books they sell. In fact they read them before they purchase them for the Book Fair's. My students always look forward to hearing them talk about the books. They are great people to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most of my children's library was purchased at book fairs, or through book orders from school. I thought the prices were a great deal, and they had so many of our favorite titles. And it was always a great day--just like the one you describe--when the child brought home their "prizes" and collapsed on the sofa, reading.

    lovely post--
    Elizabeth E.
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.