Friday, March 11, 2011

Teeth, Childhood Milestones



The other day several of my primary students were in line waiting to go to their classroom.  I noticed several students wiggling a tooth.  One youngster looked at me and pointed to his missing tooth.

Gleefully another one told me, “My tooth is loose.”

A third child not to be outdone, showed me his loose tooth and added, “I’m trying to get it to fall out during school. Because then I will get one of those plastic teeth to put it in.”

They all made me smile.  The magic of losing those first teeth.  The excitement when it finally happens.   A shared milestone, we even have songs that refer to the loss of baby teeth.

Last fall I read the book “Teeth” by Sneed Collard III.  I started to share the book talking about the title and author.  One boy told me, “ I’m really not interested in the topic of teeth.”

I looked at him, “That’s ok.  Sit quietly and listen, other people may be interested.”

“Ok, but I’m not interested.”

When I got to the part about the largest elephant molars weighing 9 pounds.  He was leaning forward listening.   When we got to the part about the great white shark having 3000 teeth, he couldn’t contain himself.

“They have 3000 TEETH?”

As he digested this information I saw his tongue moving over his teeth as he tried to count his own.  I’m not sure whether he added or subtracted for the new front teeth that were crowning.


17 comments:

  1. I have never met a loosetoother who isn't interested in the topic of teeth. I love how he got drawn in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - Did you post this one on SOL? I got to it by yesterday's post, and didn't see a this one today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I haven't posted it yet. He surprised me because he usually likes stories of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think of all that tooth fairy money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ;) I love your TEETH and especially this ending

    “They have 3000 TEETH?”

    As he digested this information I saw his tongue moving over his teeth as he tried to count his own. I’m not sure whether he added or subtracted for the new front teeth that were crowning.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teeth...one of many commonalities that bind first graders together. I love the attitude change of your young boy and I love that you didn't bite when he was shutting you down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you captured that one kid -- reticent and then excited. Teeth (and the loss of them) is a common bond of kids that age (My son's mouth is littered with spaces).
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. The transformation of the child as the story took hold was magical. I really enjoyed this piece Ruth. These are such wonderful moments in our teaching lives when the spell of the read aloud is woven.You captured the moment so well.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your comments. I learn so much from what is working. I think reading to my kids is one of my favorite things to do.

    The little ones always make me smile. I try about once a month to have them raise their hands if they have lost a tooth, and then if a new one has come in. Most hands are up. It just makes me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good slice! I too, love the way you handled the uninterested, but of course you knew he would be engaged by the end of the book. I love Collard Sneed's books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I applaud your ability to draw the reluctant student into the group with your read aloud. We should never underestimate the power of a good book. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sneed Collard does a great job with his nonfiction writing. He is a delight to visit with if you ever get the chance. We are lucky to see him occasionally because he lives here in Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this book and received similar reactions from 5th graders. Topics may not be interesting, but given the right circumstances, the right reader-things can come alive. I have this philosophy I try to instill in students (and myself): Just because you may not be interested doesn't mean it may not be interesting. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your phrase that you use. Very good way of expressing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing my daughter's smile with her missing front teeth right now, especially since she is my oldest, so it is a parenting first. It was fun to hear about it from a teaching perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone has a tooth story, even grown-ups. Great topic. Thank you for adding the read alouds. I will add them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still remember the excitement of losing my first tooth. How afraid I was that it was going to hurt. I wouldn't let either my mom or dad pull it. My sister suggested the door nob and string strategy. I vetoed that too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.