Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Have You Ever Had a Naked Chicken Sandwich?

What's a naked chicken sandwich?  My husband usually brings me lunch.  I know I'm spoiled and I love it.  I'm not crazy about breaded chicken on a bun.  So I usually tell him I want a naked chicken sandwich.

Last week we were helping Dan's sister and her husband move from their home in Brusett, MT to Billings, MT.  One of the things that made the trip was a plucked plastic chicken.  It was about the size of my fist.  I remember seeing it laying on the kitchen table.

This morning Dan asked me what I wanted to eat and I wanted some Hardy's chicken strips.  I had forgotten my phone this morning.  So when he came to bring me lunch he asked if I wanted him to swing by the house and get my phone for me.  I told him no I didn't think I needed it.

At lunch time I went out to meet him.  Our neighbor Ted was with him.  We talked for a few minutes and I took  the bag with my lunch in it.  I sat down in the teacher's lounge.  Opened up the paper bag.  There was a wrapped sandwich in the little paper deli tray - hoagie bun, lettuce, sandwich filling.  What was the secret ingredient? Yes you guessed it the plastic chicken.

I turned around and used the lounge phone.  He was sitting outside waiting for my call.  He and Ted go for coffee at a little diner most mornings.  One of the cooks made the sandwich especially for me. I gave Dan the sandwich and he gave me the chicken strips I had requested.

Ted took the bag with the sandwich home and told Carol that he'd brought her lunch.  She fell for it too.  And that my friends is the tale of the naked chicken sandwich.


10 comments:

  1. Ha ha!  Those rubber chickens are the funniest things in the world.  Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chuckle this morning.  I'll bet it lightened your day up to. I love those little surprises that bring a smile to our faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious!  Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny ... and now you have a great story for years to come.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was funny. Thank you for making me chuckle. A good laugh is appreciated on any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ruth, I've missed your wonderful sense of humor, and your husband's too!  What a great joke.  Your husband must be really looking forward to a  grand April Fool's Day!  Thank you for all the support.  I hope I can find the time sometime to go back & read your car posts that I missed.  they have been such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!  Your plastic chicken took me back MANY years.  I had a plastic chicken that looked cooked that used to be in the Thanksgiving play I put on each year before we ate dinner.  I wonder how the adults tolerated watching that play for several years.  Thanks for the laugh and the memories

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love it! I love men with a sense of humor. I'm so glad you shared the photos too. My grandson asks for naked cookies when we go to the grocery store. They give kids a cookie in the bakery section - it is naked because it has no frosting. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! Your husband is a hoot! :) I loved your story, and the picture was by far the best part!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.