Monday, March 26, 2012

I Am From Car Memories


I am from seeing the family car burn, gravel roads, and the new car smell of our blue Valiant.

I am from life as seen through windshields - seeing
dust devils - dancing, spinning, twisting, gritty sand  in my mouth.

I am from prickly pear cactus, stalled cars and flash floods.

I am from lost keys, and coat hangers fashioned to open car doors, I am from Elizabeth, Grandpa Earl and Grandma Kate.

I am from tenacious-ness, and never give up.

I am from "you can do what ever you make up your mind to do", and "they can take away everything but your education".

I am from a driver's license at 15, 
a car of my own at 17 and Idaho plates.

I am from Kate who at 18 loved to ride the new 1905 Indian motorcycle yet - never drove a car, and from Elizabeth who learned to drive when she was 35.
I am from photos of Grandpa's Model A - Mom and Uncle Marion sitting on the running boards. 
 
I am from car keys hanging on hooks, and kitchen tables stacked with books.





3 comments:

  1. And each one of those lines is still another story, Ruth.  I want to know about them, specially about that Indian motorcycle.  Do you know that movie about a motorcycle like that.  I can't remember the name, but it was awesome!  I love that you put in the names.  The things are important, but those names mean something so full and rich.  Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous montage of your car memories.  I agree that each line is filled with historical events which one day maybe written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the format of this piece. I love how it shows these are far more than car stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.