Sunday, March 31, 2013

Gilt Edge Montana Ghost Town - Slice 31

Today is the last day of the SOL writing challenge.  I am sad.  It gets me back writing regularly and I get to read many wonderful writers.  Thank you.  The calendar confirms today is March 31 - Easter.  I can't believe how fast it went.

Yesterday my husband and I took a road trip looking for what isn't - some of the towns that are slipping off the map or that already have.  We found the ghost town of Gilt Edge.  There were quite a few buildings still standing, many have already crumbled.

One of the things we saw was a yellow hill.  You can see that water and snow had made erosions.  It kind of looked like dirt and kind of looked like saw dust.  There was no mill and the dirt around was darker.  When I got home I looked up Gilt Edge and discovered that the hill was the mining tailings. Gilt Edge had been a mining camp.  It was the first place in the USA to use cyanide leeching process in gold processing.

The Gilt Edge Mill and town started in 1893 and rand until 1912.

http://www.angelfire.com/ia2/flybee3/

http://myweb.cableone.net/flynbil/flynnsinn_002.htm







Mining Tailings

7 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the ruins with the cross. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Makes me want to travel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find the most interesting places. I love traveling with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have yellow hills in Colorado, too Ruth-sad to say. Love the photos as I always do, & love that I can take a sweet road trip with you all. I love going, & seeing. Do you ever sketch? That church photo is beautiful-so many ghosts there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of different kinds of poems I want to try during April. Do you mind if I use one of the church photos with a post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great photos. It reminds me of the movie Tombstone. I can see Doc Holiday standing out by the old church. I love, love love Montana! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go ahead and use the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article is truly a good one it assists new
    internet visitors, who are wishing in favor of blogging.


    Also visit my weblog - Line let's get rich cheats

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.