Monday, March 16, 2015

#16, Banana Bread to Go

Dan is feeling better.  He is starting to try and torment me.   The stories of my getting lost are legion.  At times when I leave for the store or to run and errand he will ask, "Now do you know how to get there?"  and he will proceed to tell me where it is.

I decided to go get us both a fancy coffee at the nearby CityBrew.  I don't go there very often.  Today when I pull up the young man at the window greets me by name.  Smiling.

I mentally review if he is one of my previous students.  I do not recognize him either as a previous elementary student nor as one of my college students.  Perplexed I wait.

He comes back, grins.  "Your husband called and would like a slice of banana bread."

Laughter, "He said, you would be driving a white Prius."  He continues, "We laughed over the call."  He waits for me to approve the addition.  "Now your name is firmly in my mind."

I laugh and look at his name tag - Ty.  His name is now firmly in my mind as well.

Arriving home I put the banana bread in my purse and carry in the two drinks.  I talk about the drinks and my husband tries to see if I have his requested treat.  I pretend to not know what is going on.

Finally he says, "Did you get the banana bread?"

I let him off the hook and take out the bag and hand it to him.

And we laugh.


8 comments:

  1. Yes, it sounds like your husband is on the mend, thank goodness. It would be a shock to be greeted by name. It great to have a reason to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he is up to this call, he is feeling better:) You are kinder than me- I would have hidden it longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm..sounds like a conspiracy to me. Stranger greets by name...says family member called...must take home an object...Ok, I watch way too many spy shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The young man said that Dan had told him my name and I would be driving a White Prius. The coffee shop has cameras along the drive up route. When Dan was confessing he told the young man "She has grey hair, drives a white Prius and is named Ruth." The young man get Brownie Points for not mentioning the grey hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny! I think I would maybe have held out a little longer, or maybe added something else to the order to give him instead...or just say, what? Coffee? Banana bread? Whatever are you talking about? I couldn't find it, went to the library instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Dan gave the baristas something to smile about this morning. This is a funny story, and I enjoyed reading it...a slice of life about a slice of banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Have to try that next time. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, love that he did that, Ruth. What a great story. That's the kind of story from a smaller town that we miss. Glad he got his bread!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.