Sunday, March 22, 2015

#22, The Egg and I

Full disclosure the egg and I have a love hate relationship.  I am not crazy about eggs.  I do however order omelets with lots of cheese, meat, etc.  Scrambled eggs, and bacon is fine.  I used to love quiche.   I hate trying to clean after cooking eggs.   Since eating gluten free for the past 2-1/2 years I don't order quiche when I eat out.

Now my husband loves eggs. Fried, poached, fried, did I mention fried.  Now when I eat eggs I want them hard.  I detest runny eggs - to me they look like they are still raw.  You guessed it he likes his soft.

When we were first married and I was trying to please him in all things I would cook eggs.  However, instead of enjoying my effort.  He felt it was a teaching moment - I should be instructed in exactly the way he wanted them prepared.  He would let me know what was wrong with how the eggs were prepared.  Needless to say I was not very thrilled.  First I was trying to please him and second I didn't like eggs to start with. I especially didn't like cooking them.

Eventually I got to thinking.  "Self how is this working?  Are you pleasing him? - No!  Are you pleasing yourself? - No!"

I decided to let him know that if he continued to complain about how the eggs were prepared I would stop cooking them and he could cook his own eggs.  Hm - he did not believe me.  I warned him a number of times.  Then the next time he told me he wanted eggs I sweetly explained where the kitchen was, where the pans and spatula were as he would need to cook them himself.

He still asks me to cook eggs - and I remind him that I gave him many warnings about what would happen if he continued to complain.  His answer is always, "But how would you know how to do it if you didn't know it was wrong?"

I smile at him and say, "How did that work for you?"

He answers, "I will probably starve."

"That is a possibility.  Or you might decide to prepare them yourself."

When he is desperate he prepares them himself.  Then he mutters, "You used to cook them for me when you still loved me."

"Honey, I still love you.  I used to cook them when I was still trying to please you.  When I realized that I couldn't,  I decided to please myself.  Now you can make the eggs how you want them."

Yes the egg and I have a love hate relationship.  Once or twice a year I will choose to cook him eggs.  He is always verbally appreciative.  He also tells me I usually get it right.

"Now will you cook them for me on a regular basis?"

I smile and shake my head, "Honey, that option is no longer on the table.  I really don't like eggs, I especially don't like cooking them."

Dan and I have been together about 14 years, in July we will celebrate 9 years of marriage.  Back to my story - the egg and I have a love/hate relationship.   Dan loves them, and I hate to cook them. 

8 comments:

  1. I like eggs, but not the runny kind either. You make this a funny part of what makes you and Dan a couple and I love that. We all make the compromises that work, and still love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right we all make compromises. I try to find the humor. Sometimes better than other times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I like dippy eggs. Break the yolk and dip toast or home fries in it. Yes, I do like eggs any way they are cooked. Glad that Kathy also likes them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always good when you can enjoy the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joffre (J.D.) MeyerMarch 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM

    When I eat eggs, I scramble them with firm tofu. Then I season them with spices, such as garlic powder/minced garlic, and picante or La Michoacana thin sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cooking eggs. But I totally see your point especially the part that your husband can cook them to his satisfaction. Your post is such a good illustration for compromise. And successful marriages do just that. Congrats on your marriage and finding solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. He is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.