Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Translation Please

When talking to students do you ever feel that you are speaking a foreign language they don't understand?  Last week one of my 1st grade classes came to the library for story time.  A new student was in their midst.

I went through our class rules.  The class did the "Pretzel" one of S'cool moves brain workout.  I then reminded all the kids to sit criss-cross pockets on the floor.  My new youngster who was near the front was still kneeling.  I repeated my statement of putting pockets on the floor.  Still no response.

A little boy sitting near him leaned over and stated, "She means put your butt on the floor."

My new student looks at him and he puts pockets on the floor.  It's great to have translators.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder what language I am speaking almost every day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. We translate for them. They translate for us. It's all good. What I love most is the way that the other child really looked out and took care of the other child with so little fuss. Great small moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, I know the feeling. Sometimes I think they must hear Martian when I speak. I love how your little translator solved the situation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.