Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Child Sobbed



                                                         Sobbing Silently, the Child Cried

I asked the 
moon why it was blue
And it 
winked and laughed softly
I asked the 
water why it was blue
And the waves crashed

I asked the 
child why do you cry?
And it 
sobbed silently
I asked the 
shoes to dance
And it 
tap, tapped, shuffle, stepped
I asked the 
shoes to dance
And it did and the
 world echoed
I asked the 
rabbits why do you dance
And they 
sashayed and boxed
I asked myself 
where am I going
And the 
road twisted
The 
 shoes danced
                                                          The 
 child sobbed
                                                          And I kept quiet.
                                                          And everything was the same.    


          
*Photograph http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2003654924/ 

10 comments:

  1. I really like your use of the vintage photograph as writing prompt; your poem had an "Alice in Wonderland" feel to it. Unanswered questions let readers interpret what they will. Lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, what a great image. I so want to know what happened right before and right after this photo was taken! Then what a brilliant idea to pair it with a poem. I keep rereading your poem and more images enter my mind. Thanks for sharing both a way to be inspired to write and a thought provoking poem,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this poem, the idea of using the picture as inspiration, and just as I wondered how you could wrap it up in a satisfying way, there it was the most fitting close:

    I asked myself where am I going
    And the road twisted
    The shoes danced
    The child sobbed
    And I kept quiet.
    And everything was the same.

    <3 Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy thank you for letting me know what connections you made. As a writer I always doubt and question myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poignancy of the words, and the picture adds to the image you'd already painted, Ruth. And I enjoyed the repetition-lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pictures and making connections. For me it shows so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can find lots of pictures at the Library of Congress. This one came from there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the resources at the LoC! Smithsonian is great for them, too. We've recently acquired Britannica's Imagequest in our database collection for our district, and I'm having a ball using those pictures as fodder for my Wonder Wall in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a very powerful poem, full of great imagery for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not familiar with Britannica's Imagequest. I will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.