Tuesday, March 15, 2016

He Lost His Fight



Tank (left) Max (right)
Max lost his fight yesterday, 3-14-16.  I came home at lunchtime to try and feed him and give him water.  He refused both.  We called the vet to make arrangements.  When I got home from school my husband told me he was gone.  I miss him.

Dan got Max at the TA Truck Stop in Amarillo, Tex  February 2002.  We figured he had been born late November or early December.  A fellow driving around the Truck Stop was advertising over the CB radio that he had pups for sale.  When Dan left the truck stop he called to the guy.  The fellow put Max in his arms, collected his $25.00 and away they went.

He told me later that he never even saw the other pups.  Later that day Dan asked how to get rid of ticks and fleas.  I told him not to get any flea collars because he would never get them out of the truck.

He was very smart and loved kids.  One time a friend and her grandchildren came to visit.  The kids and Max played until it was time for them to leave for the movie.  They brought Max into the house.  He cried and cried.  He wanted to continue playing.  When I wouldn't let him out he stood up and put both paws around the doorknob.  Mimicking what he had observed he tried to turn the knob.  Fortunately for me the door sticks and you have to pull as you turn.  The next day he figured out how to open the sliding glass doors to the backyard.  He then went on to teach all of our dogs as they came into our life how to do it.

I put padlocks on the gates to keep him in he was my escape artist.  And yesterday he made his final escape.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.