Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Wrong Number

I was reading Missives from Missouri's post about a wrong number.  My mind began to recall wrong number calls over the years.  One of those calls stands out in my mind even though it happened a quarter of a century ago.

I was home from college and it was about 9:30 at night.  The phone rang.  I answered it.  The lady on the other end said, "I need help, I've fallen and I can't get up."

I tried to ask her name and her voice began to fade.  I quickly refocused and asked her where she was.

Her response, "I'm at my house."

Worry and frustration made me firmly ask her for her address.  Was there a family member or neighbor I could call?

"No.  I'm all alone."

"Can't you come?"

"How will I get in?"

"Oh I never lock the back door."

Then I hear the phone fall.

We lived in a small town.   I quickly found the house and went in.  Calling to her as I entered the house.  I found her laying on the floor near the bed.  I realized that I couldn't lift her by myself.  So she told me to call the fire station.

While we waited, I asked her who she had been calling when she got me.

"I was calling my minister.  But I couldn't misdialed the number."

The EMTs at the local firehouse came.  They knew her.  She had called them before.  Gently they lifted her into bed.  Wished her a good-night as they left.

I have often thought of her and the night she called the wrong number.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.