Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Mystery Writing Prompt, SOLSC #10

This is the prompt I am using for my next 5 minute write.

He looked behind him then whispered, “This key fits the third door.” He handed it to me then walked away, disappearing into the crowd.  

I looked at the key.  Silvery in color with some tarnish, an old skeleton key.  The kind that opened old doors on houses.  I looked up to see the man who had handed it to me.  He was being swallowed by the crowd.

If a policeman asked me to describe him what could I tell them?  About 50, balding, toughs of gray around his ears.  Sunglasses, beige jacket, brown pants scuffed shoes.  He spoke in a rough whisper.  about 5' 7" with a paunch.

Revision

I looked at the key.  He pushed the silvery in color with some tarnish, an    the tarnished skeleton key into my hand.  

He looked behind him then whispered, “This key fits the third door.”

The kind that opened old doors on housesOld keys, old doors? 

I glanced up only to see  seeing only his retreating back to see the man who had handed it to me.  hoping to ask questHe was being  as the crowd swallowed him.

If a policeman asked me to describe him  for a description, what could I tell them?  About 50, balding, toughs steel gray hair, receding hairline. around his ears.  Sunglasses, beige jacket, brown corduroy pants, scuffed shoes.    Stood about 5' 7" with a paunch. A low gravelly voice.

I decided to do a final rewrite.

He pushed the tarnished skeleton key into my hand.  

Looking behind him he whispered, “This key fits the third door.”

Old keys, old doors?   I glanced up seeing only his retreating back as the crowd swallowed him.

If a policeman asked for a description, what could I tell them?  About 50, steel gray hair, receding hairline.   Sunglasses, beige jacket, brown corduroy pants, scuffed shoes.    Stood about 5' 7" with a paunch. A low gravelly voice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.